Friday, October 12, 2012


Why College Is Important”
by Terrence Cain

Some people say that college is like the military. After a certain amount of time in you become a completely different person than you were before. While that may be true in some ways, it's not necessarily in others. I know in a lot of ways for me it has helped me to solidify more of the stances that I've always had on a multitude of topics—while in other ways I've had my eyes opened to new ideas and concepts that I would have never thought of otherwise. Even if I fail to obtain a degree, I will never say that I regret going to college because it has been one of the most awesome experiences in my life.
That's something I unfortunately don't see in a great number of people under the age of twenty-five. I wish more people would be engaged in wanting to grow their mind and become better people for the future of all humanity. I'm sure this is nothing new, humans have pretty much been this way since the dawn of time began, but it just seems to me like a great share of people just don't seem to care about their own intellect or wanting to impact the world in a positive way. They're too busy with their electronic toys, too absorbed in having a good time with friends, and in some ways just uncaring of the world that surrounds them. I know that last comment is a harsh one, but the truth is that's how I perceive things. I want people to care more about their surroundings. So many things are happening today that need a positive change. If we're to continue evolving as a collective whole then we as individuals need to stand up and take charge of our destinies.
Every semester a class will have an average of twenty to forty students and almost half of them stop showing up after the first test is completed. I'm not really sure that there is anything that we can be done to change that because of the fact that people will do whatever they want regardless of how hard others try to make them change how they function. That's why I think that statement I gave at the beginning of this piece is only half true. People have to want to be engaged in order for things to change. I hope that as future generations come up into this world they will want to be more involved, but something tells me that's not going to be the case. I hope they will prove me wrong.
Okay, so something truly amazing is coming up on Hallow's Eve at Howard College here in Big Spring. On October 30th there will be a very spooky play hitting the stage called The Tomb Of Count Gangrene that is being put together by theater professor, Kirk Davidson. Yes, the same Kirk Davidson who teaches Development Of Motion Pictures and Speech at Howard College here in Big Spring. If you're a student or faculty member the tickets are $3, for outsiders it will be $5. So here is a brief synopsis of what the play will be like.

In the tradition of Tales From The Crypt and Stephen King's Creepshow—The Black Box Actor’s Guild welcomes you to...The Tomb Of Count Gangrene! Muahhahahaha!!!
Count Gangrene has risen from his crypt along with Madame Specter and Ghoulardi, the Crypt Keeper to tell you three spine tingling tales of terror! The first tale is called “The Lake.” It's about a friendship and a friend that will not die. The second tale is called “The Spider.” It's about a three-hundred pound arachnid with an appetite for human flesh. The third and final tale is called “The Witches Game.” This final chapter is about a game in which the loser loses her head...quite literally might I add. It's all spine tingling Halloween fun with free candy and and traumatizing treats and tricks! Muahhahahaha!!!

So please, come have fun with us on October 30th as we put on one heck of a show for you all! The tickets are $3 for students and $5 for general admission. Call 432-264-5161 for more information. The show starts at 7 pm at the Howard College Hall Center For The Arts in Big Spring, so come crawl into The Tomb Of Count Gangrene...if you dare. It should be a spooky fun time!”

It's really going to be a great show, people. Come support the arts and spend Hallow's Eve at the Howard College Hall Center For The Arts here in Big Spring and have a spooky good time. I'll be there for sure and so should you. Well that's all I have this week. Until next week, this is your friendly blogger saying...they're coming to get you, Barbara...Muahhahahaha!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment