Friday, September 7, 2012


The Truth”
by Terrence Cain

Well this week was rather short with Labor Day giving us an extra day off. It was nice, but it sort of makes me feel like I should be going to school on Friday to make up for it. Just a quirk my mind has I guess. So this week's classes were alright. Yeah, just alright. It's so early in the semester that honestly there isn't much to say. My evenings at home for the last two weeks, however, have been amazing. I don't mean to get on my soap box and preach the gospel or anything like that, but after watching last week's Republican National Convention, and then this week's Democratic National Convention, I can honestly say that I feel that something from the mindset of a college student should be said because it's extremely important that we be heard on this very important issue. What we do in November will affect us all. Now I'm not going to get into specifics about the pros and cons of each party, I just want to give you the reason(s) why I will be voting this November.
As many of you who read this blog know I've been out of work since 2009. Because of that I decided it was time to try and give college a try again because when I graduated from high school in 2001 my parents couldn't afford to send me to college, let alone myself. The only way I could have, as it is now, is through Pell Grants. Well in 2001 I was told my family made far too much money to send their only son to college to get a degree in print journalism. It took me nine more years, and for a Democratic President to remove Pell Grants from the banks that held them and to put them under federal rule, in order for me to finally go to college as my parents had dreamed.
After listening to the forty-second president, Bill Clinton, give a forty-nine minute long speech Wednesday night about all the accomplishments of President Obama it gave me a great feeling in my heart that I did make the right decision in 2008 when I voted for then Senator Barack Obama for the office of President to the United States of America. Sometimes you listen to the news and you get all wound up because you're hearing something and don't know whether to believe what the newscaster is saying is true or not. Then you find out the truth about everything and realize you were worried about nothing to begin with. That's how it felt for me Wednesday night. Finally the truth was being told and I felt good in my decision to vote for President Obama.
No matter what side you yourself choose, I think that it's extremely important for everyone to get out and vote. That's the message I want everyone to take from this. Now I understand that most of you reading this are not in favor of President Obama, and a lot of you are probably shocked that I am, but you have to realize that I am because of how his policies have affected me in a most positive way. Not just Pell Grants, of which I would not be in college without the bold moves President Obama made, but also his Affordable Healthcare Act, his Fair Pay Act also known as the Lily Ledbetter Act, and his economic policies that have helped give over four million people new jobs. My hometown of Odessa was recently noted for having one of the lowest unemployment rate in all of Texas and that makes me extremely proud that my city has been able to accomplish that through policies President Obama put forth and the ideas that the local government of Odessa set forth as well. The bottom line is this. If you voted for President Obama in 2008 you should do so again in 2012. Okay, that's all I have to say for now. I hope everyone has a good weekend. Next week I'll let you all in on some things coming up in my classes next week. May you all live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment