Thursday, October 6, 2011


“Beautiful Creator”
By Terrence Cain

On October 5th co-creator of Apple Computers, Steve Jobs, passed away after an eight year battle with pancreatic cancer. They gave him three to six months to live, but for a time they thought he had won the battle. Sadly his cancer came out of remission and took his life. The Apple Corporation has been an integral part of mine and millions of other’s education for the past twenty-two years or more.
I remember as a child when I was attending Burleson Elementary in my hometown of Odessa, Texas that we had a computer lab that we would visit regularly to learn how to type, spell, and do math on an Apple computer. We would play education games like Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego? and Where’s Waldo? A lot of my early introduction to technology was from products built by Steve Jobs, or at best based off ideas he originally came up with.
As an adult I’ve used many of his creations. I’ve used Mac computers and laptops, I’ve used many different iPods, and I know a vast majority of people today use the Apple iPhone. It was indeed a total shock to my system on Wednesday night as I was watching CNN and the Breaking News banner came up to announce his passing. Steve Jobs gave me and so many others so much joy in knowing what technology can do for us and what great things can come from a beautiful creator such as Steve Jobs was. Steve had so much more to do. A life cut too short at fifty-six. I don’t think I’ll ever look at my iPod or laptop in quite the same way ever again.
I don’t mean to get all philosophical on you. I just felt I needed to share that because the truth is that Apple didn’t just touch people at home or at work, but in the educational world as well. Every classroom I see in Howard College’s Big Spring campus has an Apple computer in it. Even my editor, Cindy Smith, uses an Apple computer in her office. The innovations will always be there, but sadly his new ideas and what Steve Jobs would have done in the future will forever be gone. Thank you Steve Jobs, you made my life better with your beautiful and wonderful creations. You made everyone’s life better because of your ideas.
In this week’s classes I had some good and interesting discussions in both my Criminology and U.S. Government classes. In Criminology we talked about what is considered to be illegal in one place may not necessarily be in another; such as indecency laws and traffic laws. In my U.S. Government class we discussed mainly the first amendment, freedom of speech. We talked a lot about it and how it has at times been abused by those in power. We talked about the second, third, fourth, and fifth amendments as well but not to the degree we talked about with the first amendment.
Not much I can really say about my Algebra class. I’m just happy my grade is still up in the As. In my Horticulture class we talked mostly about soil and what is the perfect soil for most plants and crops. We also got to see samples of different soils and talked about them and their textures as well. Well that’s all I have to say for now. I’ve got a busy weekend for myself, so take it easy and have a great weekend. This is Howard College’s blogging machine, over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment