Saturday, April 23, 2011

College Blog #15

Edging Closer & Closer…
By Terrence Cain

This week has most definitely been a long one for me; and a bit of a scary one with all these fires in 252 of 254 counties. Hopefully a huge rain storm will cover all of Texas soon and put these fires out for good. Stay safe if you’re in one of the areas where there are wild brush fires.
Well this week continues the teachings of script writing in my Creative Writing class. We watched a couple of shows briefly to get a feel for how scripts are written, as well as few actual unedited scripts as well to show how things can change easily. It’s getting very interesting indeed.
In US History we’re kind of roaming all over the map. Tuesday we talked about US Military influence from World War II to today’s wars in the Middle East. On Thursday we talk about the disgusting era of mistreatment of African-Americans in our society in the 1950s and 60s when they were looking for better equality across the land.
That time period always drives up extreme emotions in me because it is still quite hard for me to fathom how anyone could hate another because of their race or religious beliefs, let alone want to kill someone because they want to be on an equal playing ground as the rest of society. Let’s hope that our nation’s history will never repeat such a horrible era ever again.
In our Mass Media class we watched the movie Citizen Kane; which was a movie about a man who basically sold his soul for fame and fortune through his newspapers. The movie is loosely based on William Randolph Hearst who many believe lied about the Maine ship’s sinking in Havana Harbor in Cuba in 1898. Hearst made the claim that the Spanish blew it up, but many decades later it is believed that the ship’s engine malfunction and blew up, thus causing the Maine to sink, not a mine from the Spaniards. It’s a very good movie that I highly recommend if you like movies with art and depth.
In my Business Computers class we’re working on a final Power Point presentation that showcases just what we’re going to college for, so naturally mine will be about being a writer since that’s what I am in college for, to be a professional writer on all levels that is. I am working on a degree in print journalism, but that’s not the only thing I plan to do. I hope to eventually publish a few books, maybe make a few movie scripts, and maybe get into writing a few graphic novel stories. Journalism is just the full-time job security that would allow me to write other things on the side as well, so that will be what my presentation is all about.
Now that’s all I have to say about my classes this week. Well, not that much longer until finals. I hope all of you have kept up with your studies and did your best. I know college life can be a bit of a struggle, but just remember what your goals are and to study and you’ll do just fine. Well that’s all this week from yours truly. This is Howard College’s Blogging Machine saying, until we meet again…


Peace - Terrence

No comments:

Post a Comment