Saturday, September 17, 2011


“Now That The Dust Has Cleared”

By Terrence Cain

The last few weeks have been totally crazy for me. I wound up getting sick last Friday. It was gnarly for a few days. I wound up missing classes on Monday unfortunately, as well as Dominique Dawes’ appearance at the Dorothy Garrett Coliseum on Howard’s campus here in Big Spring. I’ve been a fan of hers since I first saw her in the Summer Olympics back in the nineties. I had even planned to make an attempt to interview her after the event, but because I’ve been sick I stayed home.
Well, even though I’m not 100% out of the clear, I was able to return to my classes on Tuesday. On Wednesday, however, my absence from one class showed because I did miserably in my algebra class this week due to being too ill to study, let alone attend my classes on Monday. I’m not going to blab about my grades, but I will say I didn’t pass my algebra test this week, so now I have homework to do to bring my grade up. That’s right; this semester’s algebra classes are different. First you work with tutorials, practicing and studying, then you take a pre-test. If you fail the pre-test you have to do homework to bring your grade up. Then there is the post-test that you have to pass as well. It’s all very complex but it seems to work out for us in the end.
Getting back to Tuesday, that day was quite awesome for me. Tuesdays and Thursdays are my horticulture and U.S. Government classes. On Tuesday my horticulture class with Prof. Berry was assigned groups to find a total of fifty different plant lives. We were split into groups of three or four and given strict instructions on what to look for and how to assemble the book we will be putting together towards the end of the semester. My part will be to find, photograph, and label twelve different trees. It’s not due for a few months, but I plan to get started today on the project while it’s cool outside. I’m learning a lot about plant life, some I already knew from science classes I had in elementary and junior high school, and some things that are new to me. Prof. Berry is a great professor and I highly recommend him if you are attending Howard here in Big Spring.
I’m also enjoying my U.S. Government classes with Prof. Hamby. A man that truly believes in compromise, and like a lot of us, feels that the government has made that word out to be something derogatory in the English language. I’ve been learning a lot in his class and I’m very happy that I chose him this semester. Another professor at Howard I recommend if you’re attending the one here in Big Spring.
On Wednesday, besides my algebra class with Prof. Buske, I had criminology with Prof. Calvio. I had him my first semester with his sociology class, so I figured another semester with him would benefit me, not only as a person but as a writer as well. The class is coming along nicely and the class has started off with some of the same basic sociological perspectives as his other class, but in the coming weeks we’ll be getting more into the actual minds of criminals so stay tuned for that. Well, that’s all I have to share for now. Don’t forget to support the college sports teams as well as the theatrical and musical activities coming up. This is Howard College’s blogging machine, over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment