Thursday, January 27, 2011

College Blog #4

It Just Keeps Getting Better & Better…
By Terrence Cain

Man this week has been one heck of a ride for me! Right now I am taking five classes and that’s good for me because last year six classes nearly put me down for the count. Having four to five classes is definitely way more manageable, trust me on this. Anyways, my most exciting class this week I’d have to say was my Introduction to Mass Media Communications with Prof. Conway.
I’ll be honest, at first I thought this class with Prof. Conway was going to be just another boring class where you were shown a bunch of statistics and that was all you would get. Thankfully I was proven wrong this week. In Wednesday’s class we were given the chance to roll play as a group of producers for a news program. We were divided into groups of four and were given several news topics to pick from where the time on air had to amount to a total of twenty-two minutes, leaving eight minutes for commercials. Towards the end of class we had to discuss why each story was chosen and why they were placed in the order we arranged them in. We also had to explain why, if any, stories had to be cut to fit within the twenty-two minutes we were given.
It was a lot of fun to do because I was the one who got to be in control of my group and made sure that 90% of the topics were substantive based and not just a bunch of fluff. I must admit we got the stories arranged in a pretty decent way as well, although I would have rather not let a depressing story like the rise of gas costs be the end piece, but that’s how democracies run. If my mass communications class is going to be this way for the rest of the semester then it will most definitely be all worth it in the end to have this class for my second semester.
Another class I am enjoying is my Creative Writing class with Prof. Kelly-Anderson. It’s definitely getting a lot of good and creative discussions going out there between us all. We’re working on creating stories and that should get interesting by next week when we turn them in. It’s definitely a great way to broaden the mind and get the creative juices going. I highly recommend becoming part of a creative writing class if you’re looking for some substance in your life.
Okay, now in case you forgot or didn’t read my last blog there are two games going on tonight at Howard College. The men’s and women’s basketball teams will be competing against my hometown, Odessa. The game for the women’s team starts at 5:45 p.m. and the men’s team starts at 7:45 p.m. Both will be in the Dorothy Garrett Coliseum just off Birdwell Ln. Unfortunately I won’t be able to catch the games tonight due to prior engagements, but I will be there in spirit. I really hope the Hawks win both games tonight! Well that’s it for this week! This is the Howard College blogging machine, over and out!


Peace - Terrence

No comments:

Post a Comment