Monday, January 24, 2011

College Blog #3

New Semester, Great Start!
By Terrence Cain

This week has been a real good one for me at Howard College. On Tuesday I had the fortunate opportunity of attending three new classes. My favorite would be my Creative Writing class with Prof. Kelly-Anderson. I was a little disappointed, however, that there is only seven people, including myself, that are in this class with Prof. Kelly-Anderson. It’s okay, I guess, because it does make the class a little more intimate and easier to participate in. I know this is going to be my favorite class just because of that reason alone.
Now one class I was surprised to see a lot of people in was my Mass Communications class, which is in the same room as my Creative Writing class might I add. Prof. Conway teaches the Mass Communication class on Mondays & Wednesdays and I intrigued to find out what she can teach me about the world of media. I was honestly expecting, however, for Prof. Conway’s class to be about as small as my Creative Writing class with Prof. Kelly-Anderson, but I found it to be about as full as my US History class with Prof. Tune. I was quite shocked to see that class that full.
Another new class I have this semester is with Prof. Adkins for her Business Computers class. She’s a lively one for sure. I think her class is going to be just as much fun as my US History class with Prof. Tune, and Creative Writing class with Prof. Kelly-Anderson. That is something I most definitely look for when it comes to learning in school. Is the person teaching the class going to keep me tuned in, or will they be dull and boring, forcing me to tune out because the class is boring and uninformative. Well I can say with confidence that all five of my classes this semester are definitely anything but boring.
Anyone who has attended classes with Prof. Tune, Prof. Buske, Prof. Conway, Prof. Adkins, or Prof. Kelly-Anderson knows that these professors are caring and passionate people who love to teach. And despite what Prof. Tune tells his students about him not caring whether you fail or pass, he cares. If he didn’t care he wouldn’t give so much of himself to facts or be so willing to speak with his students candidly about his passion for history and our government. Even though his views are not personally my own I feel I’ve learned a great deal from Prof. Tune about American History and our government and I am forever grateful for being in his class. Any class he teaches I plan to take throughout my tenure at Howard College.
Okay, enough about my classes and this week just being awesome in my perception of attendance. In case you have not noticed, the Howard College Fitness Center has re-opened their doors to the public as of January 10th. If you like to exercise then you can do so at Howard College. For more information just click the following link: http://www.howardcollege.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=986:ftiness-center-re-opening&catid=124:whats-new&Itemid=501
Now I would like to give a few congratulations to some people who truly deserve it. First to WJCAC Hall Of Fame Inductee, Anna Smith, who was inducted on Thursday for her contribution to Howard College’s athletic department. She’s done a lot of great things for Howard College’s students and so greatly deserves her induction. I’d like to also congratulate Kevin Porras for being selected for the 2010 National ACDA. He is part of the men’s choir and will be traveling to Chicago in March to join 300 others for the ACDA national convention. I’d also like to congratulate Amber Bernal, Brantley Cahoon, Damian Perez, and Nadia Garcia for being selected to go to the TMEA Convention in San Antonio next month. Kevin Porras was also select to go to the TMEA Convention, so a second congrats to him as well.
Lots of great things are happening this semester at Howard College! I look forward to this semester, as I hope all of you are as well. On January 27th, Howard College’s men’s and women’s basketball teams will be up against my hometown, Odessa, and even though I love my hometown and Odessa College’s basketball teams, I must say that I am actually rooting for Howard to win both games. Both games will be on the Howard College campus, so go out and support the college sports teams as often as you can! Until next week, this is Howard College’s blogging machine, over and out!


Peace - Terrence

No comments:

Post a Comment