Friday, February 3, 2012

Groundhog Day”
by Terrence Cain

Indeed the day is Groundhog Day! Well yesterday actually since Friday is usually when I get this blog officially posted, but since I am writing this on February 2nd that's what I will be writing this in the manner of. Anyway, I think I need to pay this groundhog a visit this weekend and let it know I don't appreciate it forecasting six more weeks of winter weather. I do love spring, and the weather here in Big Spring has been very nice for the last couple of weeks so I hope that groundhog is wrong or else I might just have to give it a piece of my mind. Okay, enough sarcasm from this college student.
This week has been great because we have finally gotten into doing what our classes were designed to do, and that's to learn and grow. In my Cinema class we talked about how basically Universal, MGM, and Warner Bros. had this monopoly on film making prior to 1969 and how a movie distributed by Columbia Pictures called “Easy Rider” broke the mould of how movies could and would be made in the future. I'm a movie buff just as I am a music buff, so this class just has me tickled pink in all the information that Prof. Davidson is sharing with us. Makes me feel like I could write about movies now too if the mood ever struck me to go in that direction.
In English II with Prof. Neal we're still talking about William Faulkner's short story “A Rose For Emily”. In Thursday's class we talked more in-depth about the symbolism of his story and the overall direction. I've always liked Faulkner's stories, but I will have to admit he was one strange writer. We'll finish up next week and then move on to another story I will reveal in next week's post.
In my U.S. Government class with Prof. Hamby we're delving a bit deeper again into the Articles Of Confederation and how the Federalists and Non-Federalists compare to the Republicans and Democrats of today. Very interesting discussions and comparisons in today's class. Well that's all I really have to say today about this week's classes. Have a great weekend everyone. This is Howard College's blogging machine, over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment