Friday, March 4, 2011

College Blog #9

It’s That Time of The Season
By Terrence Cain

Well another week has passed and the spring weather is making class attendance a lot more fun, that’s for sure. This week was kind of a slow week for classes, in other words, not a whole lot of eventful things took place this week. Last night I finished up my second creative writing story. I don’t like it as much as I did my first one, but I still feel it’s pretty good. Only time will tell if it passes the muster in class with all the other creative writers in my class.
In my history class we’re pushing on through the 1930s and the Great Depression. It’s kind of a humbling feeling to be studying that era and living in what almost became the second Great Depression. It really puts things in perspective as to how close our country came to being in another depression. I don’t see that happening with unemployment being at 8.9% for the month of February and 222,000 private sector jobs being added that was just announced in the news this morning. That definitely has put a stride in my step because I know that if the unemployment keeps dropping like it is it will be that much easier to find work once I finish college in 2014. Yes, I do plan on getting my bachelors. It’s the only way I can become a journalist since there is no associates’ degree available in journalism.
Math is the ever elusive struggle in my life. It’s not that I don’t understand it; it’s the fact of trying to remember everything and to get everything put in the right perspective because math as we all know is a very complex subject. I’m not stressing though. I will conquer it one way or another.
My Business computer class is going quite well. We’re working on the Excel section which is probably the simplest thing ever invented in computer software, that is. You just have to know what you’re doing is all. That’s pretty much been my week at Howard College.
There are a few really unique things coming up that I think everyone needs to catch if they can. On March 8th a presentation on NPR’s Dina Temple-Raston will be showcased at Howard College’s Hall Center. The presentation is called Democratization of Information in an Age of Terror. Dina has won awards for her journalism and for her books, such as 2001’s A Death in Texas. At NPR Dina is a correspondent covering the FBI at both home and abroad. If you’re not busy on Tuesday, March 8th, come check her out at the Hall Center. The presentation starts at 6 pm.
Another person of great importance that will have a presentation showcase at Howard College is Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Her presentation is called the Democratization of Information and Human Rights. She has fought for the rights of people around the world. She is originally from Mogadishu, Somalia but now lives state side in Virginia Beach, Virginia (according to her Face Book Page). She has fought against mutilation of females in Africa, the Middle East, and the world over. She has written numerous books, one of which I believe is available at the Howard College Library, called Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations. It’s a really good book that I recommend to everyone. If you have the chance to hear her speak on March 28th, please go see her presentation. Ayaan’s presentation starts at 6 pm at the Hall Center as well. Unfortunately neither Dina nor Ayaan will be there physically, but their presentations are worth the time to go see.
Well that is it for me for this week. Spring break is coming up after next week, so I hope everyone will play it safe and come back in one piece on March 21st. This is the Howard College Blogging Machine, over and out!


Peace - Terrence

No comments:

Post a Comment